Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: A7 Tweak Update

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Y'all,

    So far I've Filled my basshorn cavities with sand, it took 50 lbs. in each cavity.
    I've also added a layer of 3/4" birch ply, with a layer of damping sheet from Cascade Audio Engineering between the birch and the 3/4" MDF in a constrained damping arragement, to the top, bottom, and basshorn "slope".
    On the top end I've had my drivers rebuilt by GPA, and coated the outside surfaces of the HF horn with a sprayon dampening compound also from CAE.
    I' ve also replaced all of the internal wiring with 14ga. Welborne Labs silver coated high purity copper wire. And installed some WBT binders.

    The difference is huge. Bass is far tighter, midrange much more believeable.

    Next, I plan on building a wooden mounting plate (3/4" birch) with large gussets, for the HF horn. Rather than stick with the plastic "L" bracket and brace arrangement currently used.
    I may also employ the CLD method to the sides and back of the cabinets.

    Any thoughts?
    Dave

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How did you attach the birch ply to the exiting cab? I glued and screwed 1/2 cement board to the insides of my 828's.

    Jim N

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    With #10 woodscrews, and spray-on adhesive.

    Dave

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also, every panel is applied to the exterior of the cabinet, with the exception of the basshorn slope.

    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.